Friday, 26 May 2017

The simple life

Last night's sunset
If this post suddenly cuts out mid sentence then I've been lured back outside by the spectacularly generous weather.

I took a week off work and by some kind chance we have been bathed in unrelenting sunshine and blue, blue skies. The May blossom is out in swathes and glorious is the only way to describe it.


I may well be deluded but I think Nancy is the most beautiful dog
Zed's headshaking didn't stop or improve with the nose net so while I'd normally be riding I've had to tread a different path and find other ways to entertain myself. 

Which has not been hard. My trusty bike has been gathering some miles to and from the stables and I've been overcoming my reluctance to ride on the roads. It's only a few miles to the yard and I've always fancied biking it but I'm a bit wobbly with right-hand signals etc. Phil did a couple of test runs with me and on Sunday while he was out doing an 85-mile marathon, I plucked up the courage and did the trip alone. It was fine. Actually, it was great fun, with some good hills to fly down. Since then I've been going by bike most days as Zed has been put on Fat Camp and needs to come in for a few hours each day before he adds laminitis to his list of woes. 

Nancy has been thriving on lots of early morning walks followed by bountiful sun-worship. She would sit out every minute of every day if she could.


Phil reading under a tree with Nancy
For a couple of reasons we're being careful with money right now (explanations will follow) so it's been a holiday uninterrupted by shopping and spending which is fine by me as I've never liked either.

Instead: biking, walking, yoga and podcasts have been the order of the day. I'm really into the Happier podcast with Gretchen Rubin and Elizabeth Craft and I love their idea that you need to design your summer so it has a good feel to it.

In light of which, I've planned a trip for Phil's birthday involving beautiful scenery, camping and a sadistic amount of hill-climbing by bike. Probably not much fun to many, but definitely tempting for us, strange as we are. 

It's been a simple week, full of simple pleasures.




2 comments:

  1. Can you send some of that weather this way? It's been raining nonstop for weeks here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sending positive, sunshiney thoughts! Ps - it's piddling here now hahahaha! x

      Delete